Session Dates and Curricula
Summer Program 2018
Smoke Over Oklahoma: How Railroads Tamed the Territory
All summer see the model train exhibit on display – courtesy of Rick Duncan with the SouthWest Oklahoma Railroad Association.
Youth, adults and mixed-age groups welcome! Art/creativity project for ages 2+. Kids’ Groups (child cares, scouts, 4-H, homeschoolers, church clubs, cousin camps)
- Our professional instructors lead students through hands-on arts, interactive exhibits and learning fun.
- Included are all Center amenities – even our state-of-the-art Experience Theater!
- Multiple programs available for repeat visits. Science, Arts, Music, History, Math and more. Just ask!
- Cost: $3 per student with minimum 48-hour advanced reservation. Teachers/drivers free.
- Children’s playground next door. Lunch area available. Historic 905 steam engine located near by.
“Grown-Up/but you are not required to act like an Adult” Groups (ladies’ clubs, church groups, reunions, sassy seniors, etc.) All ages or mixed-age groups.
- Yes, you can add an art project for additional fun.
- Plan 1-2 hours for a great experience!
- Cost: $5 plus tax per adult with a minimum 48-hour advanced reservation. Organizer/drivers free.
- Tours are led by professional tour guides and features our premier art gallery, experience theater, interactive exhibits, a “slightly naughty chuck wagon and more.
Current temporary exhibit until July 5: Tales from the Trail: 20 Years in Words and Pictures (a retrospective look at the early years of the Heritage Center during our 20th anniversary year!)
Smoke Over Oklahoma: The Railroad Photographs of Preston George – July 7 – Sept. 3 (opening date tentative)
The 2018-2019 Education Session programs involve the best of history, art and music for a total learning experience. Our Great Expectation certified educators engage students as they teach them about Chisholm Trail and Oklahoma history, bring historical characters to life, as they dress in period costumes of the people they represent. Students discover the interesting lives of such notables like Mrs. Will Rogers (Betty Rogers), Edna Ahrens, Johnny Abernathy or Lizzie Johnson.
Our educators encourage students in investigating the past through interactive teaching. Our teaching staff provides great attention to detail and accuracy so the students leave filled with enthusiasm for learning more. The target grades are 3rd, 4th and 5th, though we host younger students, older students and adults. The Heritage Center is the only non-profit to receive the Great Expectations Model School Certification, 12 consecutive years. (Recently awarded again in 2018).
STEAM: Science, Technology, Engineering, Art and Math are at the core of all sessions for all ages. All sessions cover Oklahoma Academic Visual Art Standard 4
Please call Leah to discuss your needs (580) 252-6692.
Session schedule for the 2018-19 programs. Planning packets from the 2017-18 year are still available below to give teachers an idea of what to expect. Updated packets will be posted when they are available.
Sept. 4 – Oct. 31, 2018
- Holidays on the Chisholm Trail: Surviving as a Newcomer to the Territory
November 1 – December 21, 2018
- History Heroes: Famous Figures from the Chisholm Trail Region
January 2 – March 15, 2019
- Oklahoma Land Giveaways
March 25 – May 28, 2019
Enhanced Field Trips – Grades K-12 – no maximum number of students
Science for Second Graders – All Year – 2 for 1 field trip – Science-based field trip – Out-of-classroom hands-on interactive educational experience
To view a Matrix for the session you are interested in, click the title. The matrix will download as an Excel file. You can also choose the PDF version. *indicates current session