STUDENTS Chisholm Trail Cowboy Poetry Contest
2019 Chisholm Trail Heritage Center Cowboy Youth Poetry Contest
Student Poetry Contest
DUNCAN, Okla. – The Chisholm Trail Heritage Center is hosting its second annual Chisholm Trail Cowboy Youth Poetry Contest for students in four categories, pre-k to 12th grade. Entries should be emailed, hand-delivered or mailed, by Friday, Nov. 1, 2019.
Physical mailing must be postmarked by that day. There is no entry fee required. This event is to encourage writing among youth.
A printable entry form is available (required) Chisholm Trail Cowboy Youth Poetry-Contest 2019 (Must be submitted with poem, either by mail or email)
Prizes will be awarded for first through fifth places in each category. All participants will receive a certification of achievement.
The categories are: Pre-K to 2nd grade; 3rd-5th grades; 6th-8th grades; and 9th-12th grades. Prizes for each grade category are: First place, $100; second place, $75; third place, $50; fourth place, $25; and fifth place, $10.
Winners will be notified by Nov. 12, 2019.
Students must write and submit a cowboy poem – it must be their own original work. Contest is open to all grade levels – Pre-K through 12th grade, and homeschool students.
- Poems must be about the cowboy way of life – ranch life, cowboys, cowgirls, livestock, rodeo, anything that is directly related. For example, a student may want to write about pets – the barn cat, the dog who herds the cattle, or the environment – riding a horse in the hot summer.
- Poems must be a minimum of eight lines, and a maximum of two pages.
- Poems can be handwritten or typed and must be the original work of the student.
- Only one entry per student.
- Poems written in a language other than English must have a translation attached.
- Poems are judged on creativity, originality, language, appropriateness of content (theme).
- Provide this information, printed legibly, on the back of entry pages: (Also REQUIRED)
Phone Number (required) and e-mail address (if available)
School or Homeschool, School Grade
Address, City, State, Zip
- Parent or Guardian’s Name
All student poets will receive a certificate of achievement from the Chisholm Trail Heritage Center. Winning entries, along with the student’s name and school, will be published on the Heritage Center’s website. A panel of experienced judges will determine the winners.
Mail your entries to the following address or email them to email@example.com.
Chisholm Trail Heritage Center (attn: Cowboy Youth Poetry Contest)
1000 Chisholm Trail Parkway
Duncan, OK 73533
For information, or if you have questions, contact Toni Hopper or Leah Mulkey at 580-252-6692.