STUDENTS Chisholm Trail Cowboy Poetry Contest
Chisholm Trail Cowboy Poetry Gathering
Student Poetry Contest
DUNCAN, Okla. – The Chisholm Trail Heritage Center is hosting a Chisholm Trail Cowboy Poetry Contest for students. Entries can be emailed, hand-delivered or mailed, by Thursday, Nov. 1.
Physical mailing must be postmarked by that day. There is no entry fee required. This event is to encourage writing among youth. A printable entry form is available Release form for student poetry contest: It is required to send in with your written poem.
Trophies will be awarded for first through sixth place. All participants will receive a certification of participation.
Winners will be notified by Nov. 12, and will be guaranteed a spot in the Chisholm Trail Cowboy Poetry Gathering to read their poem at the event, which is 6 to 9 p.m. Friday, Nov. 16. Winners are not required to read their entries. Trophies will be awarded. All students who participate are welcome to attend the gathering, which is 5 to 9 p.m.
Students must write and submit a cowboy poem – it must be their own original work. Contest is open to all grade levels – Kindergarten through 12th grade, and homeschool students.
- Poems must be about the cowboy way of life – ranch life, cowboys, cowgirls, livestock, rodeo, anything that is directly related. For example, a student may want to write about pets – the barn cat, the dog who herds the cattle, or the environment – riding a horse in the hot summer.
- Poems must be a minimum of eight lines, and a maximum of two pages.
- Poems can be handwritten or typed and must be the original work of the student.
- Only one entry per student.
- Poems written in a language other than English must have a translation attached.
- Poems are judged on creativity, originality, figurative language, appropriateness of content, and structure (traditional form–rhyme, rhythm, voice, stanzaic pattern, and other elements that comprise poetry).
- Provide this information, printed legibly, on the back of entry pages: (Also REQUIRED)
Phone Number (required) and e-mail address (if available)
School or Homeschool, School Grade
Address, City, State, Zip
- Parent or Guardian’s Name
All student poets will receive a certificate of participation from the Chisholm Trail Heritage Center and trophies will be provided to the winners. Winning entries, along with the student’s name and school, will be published on the Heritage Center’s website. A panel of award-winning experienced cowboy poets will be judging the entries.
Mail your entries to the following address or email them to email@example.com.
Chisholm Trail Heritage Center (attn: Student Cowboy Poetry Contest)
1000 Chisholm Trail Parkway
Duncan, OK 73533
For information, or if you have questions, contact Toni Hopper at 580-252-6692.
This contest is in conjunction with the Heritage Center’s fourth annual Chisholm Trail Cowboy Poetry Gathering.