STUDENTS Chisholm Trail Cowboy Poetry Contest
2019 Chisholm Trail Heritage Center Cowboy Poetry Youth Contest
Student Poetry Contest
DUNCAN, Okla. – Saddle Up and Write a poem! The Chisholm Trail Heritage Center is hosting its second annual Chisholm Trail Cowboy Poetry Contest for students in four categories, pre-k to 12th grade. Entries should be emailed, hand-delivered or mailed, by Friday, Nov. 1, 2019.
Physical mailing must be postmarked by that day. There is no entry fee required. This event is to encourage writing among youth.
A printable entry form is available (required) Entry Form for Cowboy Poetry Youth Contest 2019 (Must be submitted with poem, either by mail or email)
Prizes will be awarded for first through fifth places in each category. All participants will receive a certification of achievement.
The categories are: Pre-K to 2nd grade; 3rd-5th grades; 6th-8th grades; and 9th-12th grades. Prizes for each grade category are: First place, $100; second place, $75; third place, $50; fourth place, $25; and fifth place, $10.
Winners will be notified by Nov. 12, 2019.
Students must write and submit a cowboy poem – it must be their own original work. Contest is open to all grade levels – Pre-K through 12th grade, and homeschool students.
- Poems must be about the cowboy way of life – ranch life, cowboys, cowgirls, livestock, rodeo, anything that is directly related. For example, a student may want to write about pets – the barn cat, the dog who herds the cattle, or the environment – riding a horse in the hot summer.
- Poems must be a minimum of eight lines, and a maximum of two pages.
- Poems can be handwritten or typed and must be the original work of the student.
- Only one entry per student.
- Poems written in a language other than English must have a translation attached.
- Poems are judged on creativity, originality, language, appropriateness of content (theme).
- Provide this information, printed legibly, on the back of entry pages: (Also REQUIRED)
Phone Number (required) and e-mail address (if available)
School or Homeschool, School Grade
Address, City, State, Zip
- Parent or Guardian’s Name
All student poets will receive a certificate of achievement from the Chisholm Trail Heritage Center. Winning entries, along with the student’s name and school, will be published on the Heritage Center’s website. A panel of experienced judges will determine the winners.
Mail your entries to the following address or email them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Chisholm Trail Heritage Center (attn: Cowboy Youth Poetry Contest)
1000 Chisholm Trail Parkway
Duncan, OK 73533
For information, or if you have questions, contact Toni Hopper or Leah Mulkey at 580-252-6692.
Thank you to Woody Creek Ranch of Bray, Oklahoma, for sponsoring the prizes for this year’s contest.
Thank you to Oklahoma Arts Council for also making this possible.