John Carlos Fisher
December 19, 1902 – August 11, 1965
Second generation rancher, John C. Fisher, had many people wondering in the Depression years if he was making a sensible purchase. He bought land at a dirt-cheap price, to farm. Nobody else wanted the 2,300 acres near Hill and Beaver Creeks in southern Oklahoma. (It was located near what is today, State Highway 7, between Duncan and Lawton, near Central High.)
Fisher decided it was perfect for his Hereford ranching operation which, by the way, prospered.
Even while running a cattle ranch, Fisher served as superintendent of Marlow Public Schools for 20 years, 1928-1948. His wife, Dortha D. (Leach) Fisher helped him with many of the tasks, including making sure all the ranch hands were fed.
Much of the land remains in his granddaughter’s care, yet some of it has been sectioned and sold.
Fisher’s father, began homesteading in Kingfisher County during the land run of 1889.
**Here’s some more information uncovered during research about John Carlos Fisher – credit to the Marlow Area Museum’s Facebook page, October 2018.
John Carlos was born near Reeding, Oklahoma, near Kingfisher. When he was about a year old, his family moved to Edmond where they stayed until 1906. Ranching took them near Strong City in Roger Mills County. Around 1910, they moved to Siloam Springs, Arkansas, but in 1915, came back to Oklahoma. Fisher attended the Central State Teachers College at Edmond to finish his high school education, then continued at the school for college work and received a bachelor of science degree in 1925.
He taught two years in Minco Schools. In 1927, he and Dortha, his new bride, moved to Marlow, where he became principal of the Marlow High School. A year later, he was selected to serve as superintendent of the school district. Fisher also served on the board of Regents for Oklahoma Colleges for 17 years.
We will share more of this family’s legacy and contribution to the Chisholm Trail in a future story about John Carlos Fisher’s son, Johnny M. Fisher.